Shiloh Farms Organic Chia Seeds, 8 oz.
A traditonal superfood used by the Ancient Aztec civilization is now available to build your health. Yes, this is the very same seed famous for growing "hair" on your Chia Pet. Little did we know how nutritionally superior this little seed is, and that we should have eaten those little sprouted seeds!
Why all of the attention? Well, thanks to Dr. Oz on Oprah, more folks are embarking on adding Chia to their daily diets, and for good reason. Chia boasts the highest plant source concentration of omega-3 fatty acids per gram, making it quite manageable to increase one's intake of omega-3's from dietary sources consuming a modest amount of seed. While many fish arguably provide a "better" source of omega-3's, Chia has demonstrated it's ability to raise blood levels of omega-3 fatty acid in research studies. Over the years, Omega-3's have clearly demonstrated their importance to healthy brain function (not to mention a myriad of other tremendous health benefits), and it's my belief the great ancient civilization created by the Aztecs likely was fueled by their diet, and namely their consumption of Chia. This tiny seed was noted to improve energy and stamina by the Aztecs.
- significant blood pressure reduction
- 32% reduction heart disease marker CRP (C-Reactive Protein)
- thinned the blood by lowering fibrinolytic factors (fibrinogen, for instance)
- helped stabilize after meal blood sugar and insulin levels
- high fiber content
- easily digested
- high protein content
- excellent source of calcium, iron, potassium and vitamin C
- an arsenal of disease fighting antioxidants such as chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, myricetin, quercetin, and flavonals.
- highly stable, even when ground or pressed for oil
- reduced tumor growth in mouse model of mamary gland adenocarcinoma
The flavor is mild and pleasant. The seed can be easily incorporated into baked goods. Add to recipes featuring Shiloh Farms sprouted Shiloh grain flours, available here. Or simply add to your salads, smoothies, cereal, etc. Be creative and be sure to share your experiences with us. Please note that chia seeds will gel within minutes when added to liquid.
Enjoy in good health!
Ingredients: Organic black chia seeds. Product of Peru.